FOUNDED 2001


Monday, 14 November 2016

A&T X-Country Saturday 12th November 2016 at Bolton – by Mark Riches


I finally made my 2016/17 debut on the country and as my daughter, Laura, was racing I got to Leverhulme Park well before the other A&T runners. Laura likes to do a long warm-up whereas I used the first mile of the race as a warm-up! We were without our flag & tent so I based myself with Leigh Harriers and hoped everyone would find me

The other A&T runners started to arrive about 20 minutes before the start of the ladies race and I agreed to speak to James about the tent; if he isn’t at the next race can he pass the tent and flag on to someone who is. Everyone arrived in good time except Gareth Jones & Mark Collins who turned up about 5 minutes before the start and Gareth didn’t even have his number!



The 4 A&T ladies set off to tackle the very challenging and muddy 5k course; each lap includes a couple of tough climbs and even a stream crossing. Jackie Price (25.19) was out in front again followed home by Rachel Haslam (29.48) Kerry Lomas (31.08) and Clare Unsworth (34.37) – well done ladies



Next it was the turn of the men; 10.2k this time. First A&T finisher, was Neil Hughes (43.49) who just got the better of Simon Ford (44.57) and Gareth Jones (45.45) who had another great run despite his late arrival. Gary Stevens (47.33) just got the better of Mark Collins (47.57) and Dave Sloan (48.02) Next it was yours truly (Mark Riches) in a time of 48.59. In my quest to complete 50 Park runs in 2016 I had ‘raced’ the Pennington Flash Park run earlier so decided to easy myself into this one but when a chap from Burnden asked me about 1 ½ mile in if I’d missed the start I decided to pick it up a bit! Scott Priestley (50.37) Kieran Lomas (52.53) and Phillip Spencer-Gray (53.25) completed the line-up – well done lads

Next race in the club champs is on Saturday 26st November at Sefton Park Liverpool – make a note in your diaries

No comments: