FOUNDED 2001


Thursday, 1 January 2015

My 2014 - David Sloan


My year in running, David Sloan.

 

My 2014 has been a marathon one, literally.

 

Having joined A&T in late 2013 I was looking for a challenge than would push me on to the next level with my running after struggling on the final leg of Ironman UK the year before.

Because of this, I decided to concentrate on 'making marathons seem easy'. This is not a real thing, I have learnt (there's no such thing as an easy marathon), but just trying it has lead to a great 2014. It has taken me to some places I would not have seen otherwise and led me to understand the mindset of the endurance athlete.

 

My main target was to run 10 marathons in the year and beat my PB, which stood at 3:51.

 

I managed to do all 10, plus a couple of others, including the 46 mile Grand Tour of Skiddaw and the Scafell Pike Marathon, and take my PB down to 3:05, a big tick in them boxes.

 

Targets aside, I just wanted to enjoy my running and become part of a club, something that I haven't had since finishing marshal arts 4-years previously. In this I have been extremely successful, joining A&T alongside Claire (Matchwick) was one of the best decisions I have made in recent years, I have met some great people who have helped me greatly with my running and made some good friends too, especially those who I regularly train with on the track on a Monday evening.

Taking on the track programme from Simon earlier this year has allowed me to give back to the club and help other develop by causing them great discomfort for 1 hour a week!

 

The highlight of the year has got to be Thunder Run, as mentioned by Tim in his year review, and I cannot wait to do it all again next summer!

 

 So, what does 2015 hold for me? At the moment I am concentrating on getting over some injuries, but if I can get healthy, stay healthy and enjoy my running I will be more than happy!

 

Happy new year everyone x.

No comments: