Total mileage during 2014 was 2,147 which is a weekly average of 42 miles per week; 8% down on last year
· Highest week w/c 02/06/14 (53 miles) – thanks to regular runs in the French sunshine
· Lowest week w/c 30/12/13 (30 miles) – not a good start to 2014; one rest day planned but also had to take 2 additional rest days due to very bad cold and even missed the GM x-country Champs on Saturday 4 January at LSV
Training highlights during 2014 (apart from the various Club sessions)
· Sunday 16/03/14 - nice run with Laura 10 miles along the canal at 07:03 average
· W/c 24/03/14 – I was in Newcastle overnight with work and managed 2 very enjoyable runs along the Quayside. First one 8 miles early evening at 07:17 average and the second 6 miles before work at 07:03 average
· W/c 07/04/14 – found a new 6 mile route near work completely by accident!
· Late May / early June - a week of ‘warm weather training’ (& drinking of red wine) with my wife, Joanne, in France. Most days I ran 3 miles with Joanne followed by 6 miles with her cycling alongside me
· Saturday 28/06/14 – I was in Birmingham for the British Champs (my daughter, Laura competing not me!) had a very enjoyable run around Perry Park and along the canal
· W/c 30/06/14 – decided to take a full week off as I was very busy at work; might do this again next year!
· Thursday 07/08/14 – Laura’s 21st and we ran 8 miles along the canal at 07:09 average; last run with her before she went to America
· Wednesday 10/09/14 – in London overnight with work and had a great early evening run around the Serpentine in Hyde Park
· W/c 22/09/14 – in Scotland for a few days with work and managed 3 really enjoyable runs around Calderglen Country Park
· Wednesday 15/10/14 – away with work again so did the scheduled ‘lamppost session’ along Newcastle Quayside!
· Thursday 11/12/14 – lovely sightseeing run along the Thames with Joanne; we were in London for the RCSL AGM
· W/c 22/12/14 – Laura home for Christmas; ran with her Christmas Eve (8.5 miles at 07:10 average) Christmas Day (8.5 miles at 06:40 average) Boxing Day (8 miles group run with Leigh Harriers) - really struggled on Christmas Day!
Racing highlights during 2014
· 23/03/14 - GP half marathon; ran most of the way with Shaun Moran and Jon Hyde but managed to pull away with one mile to go and finish in a time of 1.30:36, which was not a bad time considering the conditions underfoot
· 31/08/14 – Pennington Flash 5 mile; finished in the top 20 which doesn’t happen very often and although Shaun pulled away towards the end, I was happy with my time of 30:23. Also I was 1st V50 and won a £20 Sweatshop voucher (Shaun was 1st V55)
· 14/09/14 – Blackleach 5 mile (30:41) this was a true run race with myself, Shaun, Simon Ford, James Cooke (Leigh) and Sean McMyler (Horwich) locked together for most of the race. We each tried to get away on a number of occasions but I managed to pull away with about 800m to go
· 28/09/14 – Swinton 10 mile; I hung on to Shaun for dear life all the way round and although he was too strong for me in the end I was rewarded with a lifetime best of 62:23
· 12/10/14 – GP5 (30:23) after losing out to Shaun at Swinton, I thought any chance of winning the Central Lancs Grand Prix (CLGP) V50 category had gone so I nearly didn’t run this race! I was very glad that I did as I finished 1st V50, got a bottle of wine as a prize and won the CLGP V50 category
· 28/11/14 – Liverpool x-country; was particularly pleased with how strong I felt on the last lap and managed a time of 38:26
In summary, the 2013/14 x-country season was a ‘write-off’ due to work getting in the way but I managed a 10 mile PB at the ripe old-age of 52. I also finished 2nd in the A&T Road Champs Veterans and Premiership (Tim Campbell won them both!) plus I won the V50 category in the CLGP